Improve lives. Love your job. Grow your career.
At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year.
We believe we can build a healthier Canada through the power of technology. As a Medical Lab Technologist with LifeLabs you will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology, and be part of a community/team that is supportive and collaborative.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team – We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,700 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us.
LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is seeking a Clinical Genetics Technologist to join our team in Surrey, British Columbia.
This is a Full Time Flexible role with flexible shift work suitable to the maintenance of a healthy work/life balance. Shift times and days may change based on operational needs.
The Genetics Medical Lab Technologist is responsible for accurate and timely interpretive/diagnostic specimen testing and analysis of results in compliance with LifeLabs Policies and Procedures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for carrying out a diverse range of work activities; ensure all duties and responsibilities are prioritized and handled with accuracy and efficiency providing quality results.
- Perform all aspects of sample processing, including DNA extraction, using a variety of advanced genetic laboratory applications
- Prepare samples for NextGen sequencing
- Set up NextGen sequencing runs on Genome Analyzers
- Set up manual and robotic PCR runs
- Accurately report results to Lab Manager
- Track all laboratory processes from sample acquisition to data generation for bioinformatics analysis
- Complete all duties following Policies and Procedures as documented.
- Identify incidents and non-conformances, participate in developing effective corrective action plans and escalate as appropriate.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient information
- Use personal protective equipment (e.g. gloves, lab coats) as specified in EHS procedures.
- Ensure appropriate handling and inventory levels of laboratory supplies.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment
Quality Assurance and Regulatory Compliance
- Maintain and demonstrate technical competence.
- Perform assigned diagnostic testing including Quality Control, Quality Assurance, equipment maintenance, proficiency testing, Quality Management, following LifeLabs procedures.
- Recognize discrepancies and take appropriate action
Perform self-audits and submit procedure manuals revisions.
Participate in continuing education opportunities.
Manage the disposal of all laboratory waste as specified in EHS procedures.
Stay informed and comply with all safety regulations as they relate to the laboratory environment (i.e. WHMIS, TDG, LifeLabs Safety manual)
Keep up to date with information shared through the different modes of communication (e.g. memos, LifeLabs Policies, LifeLabs Procedures (SOPs), IntRlab communications, updates, bulletin boards).
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- Ensure effective communication when dealing with leadership team, support resources, team members
- Keep up to date with information shared through the different modes of communication (e.g. memos, LifeLabs websites, updates, bulletin boards).
- Ability to accept and provide constructive criticism.
Environment, Health and Safety
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of safety, patient privacy, and confidentiality
- Maintain safe work practices and procedures established by LifeLabs and in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act & Regulations, Section 28.
- A CSMLS-certified Technologist, with a Genetics/Cytogenetics technologist graduate diploma
- Current registration with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Sciences (CSMLS) with endorsement in the disciplines of Cytogenetics or Molecular Genetics.
- Successful completion of a clinical placement in molecular diagnostic laboratory.
- Expertise in advanced genetic laboratory applications and experience with sample prep and NextGen analyzers.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good data entry and computer skills.
- Proficient with online resources and laboratory information systems.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and follow-up on issues
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under pressure.
As a caring and customer driven organization, LifeLabs is committed to providing inclusive, barrier free services and workplaces. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities during the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please advise the Recruiter who contacts you and we will work with you to meet your needs.
LifeLabs has operated in Canada for more than 50 years. It is a leading provider of laboratory testing and management services, contributing to the treatment and prevention of disease by enabling healthcare providers to operate more efficiently and effectively. LifeLabs provides more than 100 million diagnostic tests for approximately 19 million patients visits annually. Information from these tests plays a vital role in predicting, diagnosing, treating and monitoring disease. LifeLabs operates the largest community medical laboratory network in Canada, together with our hospital and healthcare partners. LifeLabs also partners with healthcare providers to build a healthier Canada by transforming and managing laboratory organizations to better meet the complex healthcare challenges of today and tomorrow.