At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year.
We believe we can build a healthier Canada through the power of technology. As a Genetics Technician with LifeLabs you will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology, and be part of a community/team that is supportive and collaborative.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team – We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,700 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us
LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services is seeking casual Genetics Technicians to join our Genetics team in Surrey, British Columbia.
Our Technicians, Genetics are responsible for accurate receipt and processing of patient samples, instrument operation and maintenance, and supporting Lab Technologists with standard molecular lab applications to complete clinical testing.
These are casual roles with variable shifts and days and is located at 7455, 130th Street, Surrey.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Receive and accession patient samples
- Perform sample preparation and nucleic acid extraction from various sample types using a variety of advanced laboratory applications and instrumentation
- Perform instrument maintenance and QC
- Perform data entry and sample follow-ups; create CEMs and NCEs
- Assist with standard molecular lab applications including gel electrophoresis and PCR set-up, under the guidance of medical laboratory technologists
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Report unresolved problems to senior technologist or team lead, as appropriate
- Follow Universal Precautions in handling all specimens received in the laboratory
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment Quality Assurance and Regulatory Compliance
- Manage the disposal of all laboratory waste as specified in EHS procedures
Are You a Good Fit?
LifeLabs is seeking Technicians who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment, while adhering to LifeLabs’ standards of safety, accuracy and efficiency. Do you have:
- Bachelor of Science Undergraduate degree with focus on Molecular Biology, Genetics
- Recent and relevant clinical molecular course work, related work experience, or a combination of education and experience is preferred, but those with minimal molecular experience will be considered
- Experience with standard molecular lab applications and instrumentation (eg. DNA extraction, micropipetting, PCR set up); good data entry and computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills to enable you to relate with a wide variety of people.
- Good computer skills and knowledge and proficient with on- line resources and laboratory information systems.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and follow-up on issues.
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of safety, patient privacy and confidentiality.
At LifeLabs, great employees are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why LifeLabs provides more than just competitive compensation and benefits – our employees receive coaching and training in an environment that fosters open communication, education opportunities with tuition reimbursement, and opportunities for advancement and changes in career direction. We especially encourage applications from new graduates and individuals looking to advance their careers.
- CAD Month
- Image Gallery