Improve lives. Love your job. Grow your career.
At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year.
We believe we can build a healthier Canada through the power of technology. As a Genetics Technician with LifeLabs you will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology, and be part of a community/team that is supportive and collaborative.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team – We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,700 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us.
Our Technician, Genetics is responsible for accurate receipt and processing of patient samples, instrument operation and maintenance, and supporting Lab Technologists with standard molecular lab applications to complete clinical testing.
This is a 14 month temporary full-time position, with a float schedule (guaranteed 5 shifts per week, flexible start times and work days). Located at 7455, 130th Street, Surrey
• Receive and accession patient samples
• Perform sample preparation and nucleic acid extraction from various sample types using a variety of advanced laboratory applications and instrumentation
• Perform instrument maintenance and QC
• Perform data entry and sample follow-ups; create CEMs and NCEs
• Assist with standard molecular lab applications including gel electrophoresis and PCR set-up, under the guidance of medical laboratory technologists
• Maintain patient confidentiality
• Report unresolved problems to senior technologist or team lead, as appropriate
• Follow Universal Precautions in handling all specimens received in the laboratory
• Complete all duties following Policies and Procedures as documented
• Ensure confidentiality of patient information
• Use personal protective equipment (e.g. gloves, lab coats) as specified in EHS procedures
• Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work environment Quality Assurance and Regulatory Compliance
• Maintain and demonstrate technical competence
• Recognize discrepancies and take appropriate action
• Manage the disposal of all laboratory waste as specified in EHS procedures
• Comply with all safety regulations as they relate to the laboratory environment (i.e. WHMIS, TDG, LifeLabs Safety manual) • Participate in continuous improvement initiatives
• Bachelor of Science Undergraduate degree with focus on Molecular Biology, Genetics
Recent and relevant clinical molecular course work, related work experience, or a combination of education and experience is preferred, but those with minimal molecular experience will be considered
• Experience with standard molecular lab applications and instrumentation (eg. DNA extraction, micropipetting, PCR set up); good data entry and computer skills.
• Proficient with on- line resources and laboratory information systems.
As a caring and customer driven organization, LifeLabs is committed to providing inclusive, barrier free services and workplaces. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities during the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please advise the Recruiter who contacts you and we will work with you to meet your needs.
LifeLabs has operated in Canada for more than 50 years. It is a leading provider of laboratory testing and management services, contributing to the treatment and prevention of disease by enabling healthcare providers to operate more efficiently and effectively. LifeLabs provides more than 100 million diagnostic tests for approximately 19 million patients visits annually. Information from these tests plays a vital role in predicting, diagnosing, treating and monitoring disease. LifeLabs operates the largest community medical laboratory network in Canada, together with our hospital and healthcare partners. LifeLabs also partners with healthcare providers to build a healthier Canada by transforming and managing laboratory organizations to better meet the complex healthcare challenges of today and tomorrow.
- CAD Month
- Image Gallery