POSTING NUMBER: 2020-79
POSITION: Accountant Temporary Full Time: Until Return of Incumbent
(Approx. October 31, 2021, with the possibility of extension)
UNION: HEU – Community Subsector Association
PROGRAM: Finance Department, Administration Office, Vancouver
SALARY RANGE: Grid 39: $27.84 – $29.86
HOURS OF PAY: 37.5 hours per week
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
START DATE: January 4, 2021
ADDITIONAL NOTES: This position includes parking on-site, and the successful candidate will have the ability to work from home for a portion of the week.
** All employment is subject to a satisfactory result from a criminal record check done through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.
Please indicate posting number 2020-79 when sending applications and resumes to Human Resources at email@example.com
Please note that only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
Internal applications no later than 5:00pm on Tuesday, December 15, 2020.
** Days and hours of work may change.
At MPA Society, the unique capabilities and talents of our employees are our greatest asset. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhance our ability to work in partnership with the diverse communities and people we serve. MPA Society hires on the basis of merit, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Job Description – Accountant
Classification Benchmark: Accounting Administrator 1
Grid Level: Grid 39
Collective Agreement: Community Subsector Association
Reports To: Manager, Accounting
This position is responsible for the review and processing of financial transactions related to the Society’s programs, to ensure transactions are attributed to the appropriate department and cost centre, and that transactions are processed in accordance with the Society’s financial policies and internal controls.
The position provides the Accounting Manager with the necessary information to prepare timely and accurate financial departmental reports, as well as the Society’s consolidated financial statements.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Receives and reviews documents related to the Society’s accounts payable, ensuring expenditures are authorized and in accordance with the Society’s financial policies.
- Processes payment of the Society’s invoices on a weekly basis, entering and updating records in a computerized system, and preparing cheques and EFT payments.
- Supports program managers and coordinators by reviewing and providing training and feedback for program bank and petty cash expenditure reconciliations.
- Performs cash management duties such as receiving payments, and preparing bank deposits.
- Records revenue by entering and updating records in a computerized system, analyzing receipts to ensure government and client contributions are attributed to the appropriate department and cost centre.
- Reconciles accounts payable and accounts receivable subledgers and follows up on overdue accounts.
- Maintains and balances petty cash accounts.
- Answers queries by telephone and in person, identifies issues and refers complex problems to supervisor.
- Collects and provides information required for budgets and audits. Assists with analyses of information collected.
- Contributes to the development and monitoring of accounting and administrative processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience
- Post-secondary diploma in accounting and three years’ accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Good working knowledge of Sage 300 ERP, GL, A/P, and A/R.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office Outlook Word, Excel and Access
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices related to financial and budget management
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment.
- Effective communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Accuracy and attention to detail, with the ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Compensation $27.84-$29.86 CAD $27.84-$29.86 Month
- Address Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada