|City:||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Vancouver H/O – Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)|
Canfor’s strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor.
The Financial Reporting & International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”) Technical Lead is a key member of Canfor’s Corporate Reporting team, responsible for a full range of operational, financial and management accounting reporting and analysis. As a technical accounting expert, the Financial Reporting & IFRS Technical Lead provides support, guidance and leadership to accountants across Canfor and Canfor Pulp to ensure compliance with IFRS, and plays a key role in completing consolidated internal and external financial reporting packages and financial analysis for Senior Management. Given the reporting responsibilities and technical nature of this role, it would be best suited to a Manager within public practice.
- Responsible for interpreting unique and complex transactions, and determining appropriate accounting treatment under IFRS; as well as ensuring compliance with new/amended IFRS and accounting policies for Canfor and Canfor Pulp; remain up to date on current and future IFRS accounting standards and update businesses stakeholders as necessary;
- Prepare technical accounting assessment memorandums for presentation to external auditors and the Audit Committee;
- Ensure accurate and complete accounting and disclosure for the Company’s post-retirement pension plans and act as a primary touch point for the Company’s actuaries for accounting purposes.
- Key contributor to quarterly and annual financial reporting including monthly consolidation journal entries and maintenance of various consolidation divisions, preparation of financial statements and coordination of review/audit processes for Canfor and Canfor Pulp;
- Preparation of quarterly and annual external financial statements for both public companies, including supporting documentation;
- Prepare detailed quarterly and annual analysis of financial results for both public companies;
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly internal reporting materials for presentation to Executive Team and Board members;
- Responsible for management of the external portal with Company’s newswire system, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of the release of quarterly and annual financial statement data through the newswire system;
- Key liaison with external auditors;
- Key contributor to the Company’s monthly accounting close, consolidation and monthly internal financial statements for both Canfor and Canfor Pulp;
- Key contributor to quarterly disclosure committee meetings, ensuring proper review and oversight of externally published financial data by CFO, SVP Corporate Development, Legal & Corporate Secretary, SVP Corporate Finance & Sustainability and Senior Director, Communications & Government Relations;
- Full responsibility for preparation of financial statements for the company’s four registered pension plans with regulatory filing requirements, including management of the external audit and coordination with the Director, Enterprise Risk Management, Treasury, Property & Insurance for filing of the audited statements; and
- Key contributor to the Company’s consolidated accounting policy manual;
- Assess the impact of new accounting standards on the Company and possible impacts of alternative accounting policies; and,
- Ensure consistent application of accounting policies across Canfor and Canfor Pulp.
Required Skills & Education:
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in related fields with a CPA designation;
- Minimum of three years progressive experience with a strong technical accounting foundation (comparable to a Manager level role within public practice; Big 4 preferred);
- Experience working with medium-large publicly listed companies, including solid understanding of required regulatory financial filings;
- Strong technical knowledge and understanding of IFRS; and
- Experience with consolidation accounting in a multi-divisional, public reporting company environment an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of complex accounting principles with the ability to appropriately interpret and communicate its relevance in financial reporting, analysis, and decision making;
- Passion for IFRS technical accounting and experience in interpretation of accounting pronouncements;
- Conscious of details: methodical, organized, and structured – willing to get to the core of a problem;
- Understanding of internal and external reporting requirements, standards, and policies and ability to adapt to changes in policies and processes due to new guidelines;
- Understanding of relevant legal, regulatory and compliance issues;
- Strong understanding of end-to-end business processes and principles of financial process controls and risk management;
- Outstanding integrity and quality leadership;
- Ability to multi-task and drive multiple initiatives forward;
- Strong focus on standardization, and continuous improvement;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Strong technical skills with the ability to adapt to and become highly proficient in a variety of tools including the ERP system: Business Intelligence tools, Excel, etc.;
- Ability to apply the appropriate tools and systems to find, extract and analyze required data;
- Tendency to follow rules and regulations closely: prefers to work in a regulated type of environment, not inclined to take shortcuts; and
- Strong understanding and awareness of key stakeholders and at appropriate senior levels to drive support for project/initiative and ability to adapt to their needs
All qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their applications no later than 4:00pm on December 3rd, 2020.
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant.
We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent
The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban centre, a rare place on earth that is idyllic and electric all at once. With one of Canada’s mildest climates, Vancouver is ideally suited for those devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Along with its endless supply of fresh air and clean water, Vancouver also boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine and an inventory of arts and entertainment events. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/vancouver
- CAD Month
- Address 100 -1700 W 75th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery