Requisition ID: 20998
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The goal of the GIS & CADD Services Branch at the City of Vancouver is to empower City staff and citizens to effectively use geospatial information to improve decision making, analysis, city services and overall operations. We are currently implementing a strategic plan to renew the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and related applications. Major objectives are to create a robust governance and support model, strengthen and renew the geospatial technology platform, maintain high quality geospatial data, provide data discovery and access, and develop high value geospatial applications.
The GIS Systems Analyst I is responsible for intermediate analytical and complex technical work primarily in support of the City’s geographic information system (GIS), and can include support for computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) systems and 2D and 3D analysis and visualization systems. When provided general priorities and directions established by a superior, the position works independently and participate on information technology-related or business process-related projects. The position may act as project leader on such projects up to moderate complexity, cost and duration.
Working as an internal consultant, the GIS Systems Analyst I uses their knowledge of the best-of-breed tools, technologies, processes and procedures in enterprise-based systems and business applications to recommend solutions and changes to business processes across the City. Current technologies in use include: Esri ArcGIS Enterprise (Server, Portal, data store, web adapter), Esri ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Autodesk design tools (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map 3D, AutoCAD Civil 3D, InfraWorks, Revit, 3DS Max), Sketchup, Rhino, Microsoft SQL Server (including SSIS and SSAS), Oracle, and FME. The GIS Systems Analyst I position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the GIS manager and works closely with other members of the GIS and CADD Services Branch. The position interacts with other IT staff and staff from multiple departments when acting as an internal consultant to the users across the City and interacts with senior management during presentations and other activities.
- Analyzes and reviews enterprise technology systems and departmental business processes; recommends, designs, and implements GIS and computer system solutions that fits the enterprise technology directions and business requirements
- Participates in and leads projects to implement computer systems and business process improvements; trains departmental staff; manages process and technology change; monitors and evaluates system usage, performance and effectiveness and implements improvements where appropriate
- Evaluates GIS solutions, systems, values, risks, and impacts of proposed, exising or alternate solutions with up to moderately complex workflow; prepares estimates of costs and staff resources for implementation and ongoing operational support
- Assists in the overall design, implementation and support of the mix of hardware, operating systems, third-party technical and business software and related technical components that constitute the GIS technical environment. Leads projects and directs junior technical staff in doing so for any components of this architecture
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical problems that cannot be resolved by junior technical staff
- Liaises with, and maintains effective working relationships with, consultants and hardware and software vendors in the course of carrying out the position’s duties
- Evaluates the need for, prepares detailed specifications for and writes new programs and revises existing programs utilizing all available and applicable software aids and languages
- Prepares test plans and data, and conducts program and system testing and debugging; identifies the need for additional testing
- Prepares and maintains detailed user, systems and operations documentation; prepares and provides presentations, staff orientation, training and practical guidance on the use of new or changed computer systems and software
- Estimates value, time and cost of system development and implementation activities based on prevailing project management standards and reports progress against those estimates
- Provides direction to programmers and other technical staff, clients or consultants, utlizing their expertise, time and resources to implement the GIS solutions
- Coaches and mentors junior technical staff in the use of GIS solutions, analysis, programming and other technical tools, procedures and best practices
- Assists in the development of computer systems standards for system support and maintenance of various business functions
- Provides advice and assistance to Departmental staff at all levels concerning all aspects of use of information technology and Departmental business process-related best practices
- Assures quality, security and compliance requirements including privacy impact assessment requirements are met
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in programming techniques and languages, operating systems, data base management software, computing hardware, the current state of the Information Technology industry and industry trends, and related matters
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline, specifically including or supplemented by education and training in GIS and/or CADD, systems analysis and application development techniques; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum of 3 years work-related experience in developing, implementing, and managing projects employing GIS systems and related technology
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of GIS enterprise systems, GIS desktop tools such as ESRI ArcGIS Pro and extensions like Spatial or Network Analyst
- Considerable knowledge of CADD, 3D, BIM, imagery data analysis
- Considerable knowledge of current trends, standards, and products in Information Technology, GIS and CADD
- Considerable knowledge of GIS solutions, data analysis, and data visualization best practices
- Considerable knowledge and ability to apply business analysis and system design techniques
- Considerable knowledge of municipal business processes
- Strong, demonstrable skills in using standard database management tools for querying relational database (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle), and ETL / analysis tool such as FME
- Thorough knowledge of GIS systems development, support and maintenance
- Sound knowledge of modern project management and systems analysis tools and techniques
- Thorough knowledge of system integration between business applications and across technical platforms
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and presentation/facilitation skills, with ability to communicate at all levels within the organization
- Experience with IT enterprise architecture
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Working knowledge of machine learning and data science
- Capable of handling business critical and sensitive information in a position of trust
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff
- Willingness to learn and to be exposed to new technologies and environments
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2020
Position End Date: September 2021
Application Close: September 25, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- CAD Month
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC
- Image Gallery