Closing Date: November 30, 2020
Reporting to the Manager of Software Development, the Lead Data Developer, RACE21™ is responsible for technical leadership of Data Developers working within RACE21’s cross-functional squads. As both a people leader and a technical contributor on a cross-functional squad, the Lead Data Developer will collaborate closely with the Manager of Software Development to balance and synchronize the work of people leadership with technical contributions.
As a people leader, the Lead Data Developer is skilled at communication and collaboration across technical and nontechnical functions, within the team and across the broader organization, and can guide and support guild members in developing this capacity.
As a technical contributor, the Lead Data Developer is deeply experienced in ingesting, transforming, and storing clean and enriched data, from a variety of sources, ready for processing. They will lead and support Data Developers in the design, modelling, structuring, and maintenance of data stores suitable for various applications, making them useful for digital products, data science, reporting, and analytics. The Lead Data Developer is experienced in leveraging data scientist code and making it enterprise and production ready, and can guide and support guild members in developing this capacity.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical leadership and guidance on development best practices
- Be a senior hands-on contributor and lead by example
- Mentor and coach members of the RACE21 Data Developers guild through individual relationships and group skill sharing activities
- Advise and collaborate with the Manager of Software Development on performance management of the team
- Collaborate with operations teams on cloud data infrastructure to build visibility on technical requirements and advocate for best practices
- Technical evangelist, constantly looking for opportunities to advance our productivity and quality across RACE21 streams by defining and upholding best practices and advocating for new technologies
- Technical scope commensurate with a senior experience level in data engineering competencies
- Computer Science degree or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum three years of professional experience with data analysis and preparation, including considerable experience with very large data sets of unstructured data related to Business Intelligence and understanding of big data tech stacks
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies and experience in data engineering on an agile team
- Deep experience in Python including unit testing, plus exposure to other scripting and object-oriented programming languages
- Strong experience in database development and data modeling
- Proven experience in one of the major cloud platforms
- Demonstrated interest in and aptitude for team building and mentorship
- Proven ability to catalyze change as a technical leader
- Solid business and collaboration skills, and responsive to service needs and operational demands
- Passionate about technology and the impact of emerging technologies
- Creative and proactive problem solver who works best in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Believes in culture of transparency and trust
- Open to learning new ideas outside scope or knowledge skillset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
- CAD Month
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery