Closing Date: November 15, 2020
Reporting to the Director, Strategy, the Manager, Strategy RACE21™ is accountable for the development and execution of RACE21 strategic roadmaps for the future planning horizons on existing domains (i.e. mining automation, processing automation, ore body knowledge, water, tailings, integrated operations) and new domains (e.g. health and safety, procurement, technical services, etc), in partnership with Teck’s Operations and corporate groups. Activities include identifying new domains for inclusion in RACE; building and leading sprint teams for new and existing domains that create or update detailed visions/ future states for each business unit and/or site, identify, quantify and analyze opportunities for the application of advanced analytics to Teck’s existing, legacy and future operations that will achieve clearly demonstrable and sustainable business value, and engage with RACE and site teams to develop recommendations on next steps and handover.
– Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental guidelines, policies and procedures
– Actively manage Teck-wide innovation portfolio by
1. Periodically refreshing top-down targets, bottom-up sizing of potential value per domain (e.g. processing automation, water, tailings) and/or per site, and current status of initiative pipeline
2. Identifying and recommending high priority domains for focus, to fill the gap to annual and long term targets
3. Defining visions for each existing and new domain that is aligned with long term vision statements (e.g. Technology & Innovation (RACE) and Teck 2040 Sustainability Strategy) but sufficiently detailed at a site-by-site or function-specific level
4. Facilitating annual Teck-wide portfolio updates for target setting and prioritization
– Define and socialize portfolios of analytics-related opportunities to advance within the next two to five years:
1. Clear problem statements, business cases/valuations (financial and non-financial) and paths to deliver full value
2. Early site/ end user buy in
3. High level product definition, user requirements, and estimates on required capital and human resources to execute
4. Recommendation on prioritization and next steps, including handover to other RACE teams and integration with Galileo
– Identify, onboard, coordinate and mentor internal resources during sprints on new and existing domains
– Introduce Teck functional groups to RACE21, the future of RACE21, advanced analytics and Agile
– Integrate efforts with relevant site and RACE21 teams including
1. “Value Delivery”: develop and deploy annual digital product roadmaps for existing domains, with a focus on value delivery and coordination of RACE21 and Teck resources
2. “Digital”: develop and deploy digital products
3. “Renew”: identify, install, commission and maintain new sensors and other digital infrastructure
4. “Value Capture”: establish standards for and verify opportunities valuations
5. “Change Management”: provide updates and success stories to help communicate RACE21 both internally and externally
6. Site “Continuous Improvement” and RACE teams: collaborate to integrate RACE plans with site annual and five year planning cycles
- 10+ years of domain expertise in the resource industry, ideally involving all key commodities that Teck produces, with a successful track record in creating and deploying innovation strategies
- B.A. or B.Sc. in engineering or computer science degree
- Solid understanding of “agile” and traditional project management principles and practices; data science, data engineering or software engineering; Continuous Improvement practices; and valuation methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams comprised of individuals with disparate competencies such as subject matter expertise, analytics, software development, and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to deliver results in ambiguous or constantly evolving environments
- Very effective interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, building consensus, collaborating, networking, influencing, providing and receiving feedback, team building, and interacting with individuals from both technology organizations and operational sites, at all levels of an organization
- Experience effectively communicating concepts across all levels of the organization, and particularly to senior management, to facilitate effective decision making
- Strong analytical, planning, and interpersonal skills with an ability to manage challenging demands
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
- CAD Month
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery