Requisition ID: 23234
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Fleet & Manufacturing Services supports the City of Vancouver in being a service provider in all aspects of Fleet Management. This is a semi-skilled shift work performed on a variety of City Fleet including Equipment.
Equipment Services has four locations Manitoba Yard, National Yard, Evans Yard, and Burns Bog (located in Delta). This position requires the flexibility to work shift work on weekdays and weekends. Shifts include day shift 6:30 am to 3:00 pm and afternoon shift 3:10 pm to 12:34 am.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Operations Worker II performs servicing, minor repairs, and fueling either in the shop or in the field as instructed. Other duties include, ferrying of vehicles, cleaning of the shop, inside and outside, vehicles, equipment, and car wash as directed and all other related duties.
This position will be responsible to maintain Equipment Services' electronic fleet management system, currently CCG and/or other computer software deemed relevant to fleet maintenance as required. After initial instructions, oral or written, from the supervisor, this work is then performed in accordance with prescribed schedules and subject to a quality review and conformance to established standards.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some work experience.
- Completion of a recognized pre-apprenticeship training course in the preferred trade of heavy-duty mechanic and/or other related mechanical experience would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of standard practices, methods, the tools, material and equipment used in the vehicle maintenance and servicing.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Some knowledge of the hazards and proper safety aspects of the vehicle maintenance and servicing
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in vehicle maintenance and servicing.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas.
- Ability to work on ladders, elevated areas and/or confined spaces.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment variety of tools and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record are required.
- A current and valid Class 1 or Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record an asset
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 5 years
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Application Close: November 26, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- CAD Month
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC
- Image Gallery