This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading disability arts and culture organization as a key member of our team. For this Director position, we are looking for an individual with the ability to lead the organization through its current schedule of events & responsibilities and develop future programming. Additionally you will work along side our Administrative Director to fulfill our vision as major hub for disability arts and culture in British Columbia and beyond.
The Artistic Director position is responsible for implementing the artistic vision and mandate of the organization; to promote and support the professional artistic endeavours of individuals who identify as living with a disability. They will have the knowledge, experience, skills and passion to promote art by people who identify as living with a disability as relevant and important to all communities.
Founded in 1998, Kickstart Disability Arts & Culture is a Vancouver based arts non-profit that supports and promotes artists who identify as living with disabilities. Our mission is to produce and present works by artists with disabilities and to promote artistic excellence among artists with disabilities working in a variety of disciplines.
Our objectives are: to encourage and support artists to create and present authentic interpretations of the disability experience; to provide opportunities for the development and advancement of artists with disabilities; and to promote practices that will make the arts more accessible to all members of the Canadian public. Learn more about us by visiting www.kickstartdisability.ca
The Artistic Director is responsible for all duties related to supporting and promoting the professional endeavors of the disability arts community in Vancouver and British Columbia. This is a key leadership role in the organization that directs, fundraises for and maintains the program of events in concert with Kickstart’s Strategic Plan as well as provides innovative vision for future programming. The Artistic Director will work alongside and collaborate on various projects with their colleague, the Administrative Director. This is an exciting and creative role for an experienced artist with proven curatorial and programming skills who is passionate about accessibility to the arts for all and for supporting the work and endeavours of individuals who identify as living with a disability.
The Artistic Director will report to the Kickstart Board of Directors.
Our office is located in Chinatown in the SpencerCreo Centre (a shared work space for non-profits); it is wheelchair accessible and close to transit. At this time working remotely / virtually is possible. Prospective employee must have access to reliable internet to work remotely, Kickstart will provide a computer.
Responsibilities and Duties
Art direction and Curation:
- Cultivate and foster relationships with local and national Artists that identify as living with a disability; disability focused organizations; and all local arts and culture organizations
- Book artists for exhibitions, concerts, artist talks, workshops, performances, and other special events.
- Work with and fulfill the existing schedule of events. This means making sure scheduled events take place, from head to toe, and to add new events where needed.
- Work directly with Artists and venues to create events; select Artists and the works they show or perform; install or present these works in a professional and accessible manner.
- Maintain existing grant schedule as well as seek out new grant opportunities
- Meet all deadlines.
- Work closely with our grant writer to complete and submit scheduled grants, which includes writing project descriptions and forecasting budgets.
- Meet with grantors to discuss future grant proposals and granting direction.
- Create a fundraising plan and work with the Board to execute this plan.
- Seek out new fund raising opportunities
- Maintain and fundraise for the Geoff McMurchy Artist Development Grant, which Kickstart now gives out annually.
- Comprehend, manage and adhere to organizational budget
- Create and book accessible components for events which may include; ASL, audio description, or braille production.
- Liaise with members of the artistic community to expand our membership locally and nationally.
- Meet with and mentor our Members when requested.
- Represent Kickstart at our events and to the media when requested.
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and skills:
- Post-secondary education in an arts related field (Master’s degree in visual arts an asset)
- Current arts practitioner with knowledge of the Vancouver and Canadian disability arts scene
- Proven curatorial experience including ability to hang a 2D material arts based exhibition that is accessible to members
- Experience managing artists who work with a range of mediums (i.e. visual, dance, writing, sculpture)
- Previous Artistic Director and non-profit experience an asset
- Arts programming creation and delivery experience
- Grant writing and fundraising experience with proven track record of success
- Extensive contacts and professional outreach in the visual and
performing arts sector locally and nationally
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to co-ordinate and deliver complex project planning on time
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to collaborate effectively and respectfully with colleagues and Board of Directors, to deliver information upon request in a timely manner
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Knowledge of and experience with running online applications (i.e. zoom, Facebook live etc.) and preparedness to run arts programming online
- Experience with basic word processing and Excel spreadsheets
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs of diverse communities
Professional Conduct and Workplace
Kickstart promotes and values a respectful and inclusive workplace. The Artistic Director will reflect our values for a respectful and kind workplace and will abide by workplace policies for Employee Privacy and Anti-Bullying and Harassment.
How To Apply
Please email your resume with a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading, “Artistic Director Application”. A single PDF file is preferred.
Application Deadline: February 1st 2021.
Only those applicants who are shortlisted will be notified.
Remuneration and Commitment
Flexible and accommodating work schedule and the possibility to work remotely!
Part-time Employment; 24hrs per week* at $27.50/hr
* this position will start as Part-Time, but should the individual wish to take the initiative to secure additional funds there is a possibility to increase hours
Kickstart mandates that 50% of its board and staff are individuals who identify as living with a disability. Kickstart hires on the basis of merit and values diversity within our community and workplace. We encourage applications from persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and persons with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
- Compensation $27.50 / hr - maximum of 24hrs per week CAD $27.50 / hr - maximum of 24hrs per week Month
- Address 610 Main St, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada