Closing Date: January 29, 2021
This position is within the Teck Project Development Group (PDG), which role is to deliver significant capital projects on behalf of Teck Business Units and provide Teck with the core source of expertise in project delivery, management, and control.
Acting in a Contracts leadership role on a project, as assigned, the Senior Contracts Specialist will report to the relevant Project Director, and functionally, to the Director, Contracts & Procurement. The Senior Contracts Specialist will work in an inter-dependent manner with internal and external counsel, contracts professionals and a diverse group of Teck employees, and external parties to ensure contracting strategies are appropriately assessed, planned and implemented with the objective of advancing Project and business objectives.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Maintaining and demonstrating Teck’s commitment to safety and environmental protection as a core value.
- Enabling project success by identifying and evaluating contracting strategies and facilitating the selection of the strategy that best supports the project objectives.
- Undertaking the Contracts’ setup function for one or more Teck projects, including by establishing contracts strategies and plans, procedures, systems, tools and project staffing plans.
- Leading, managing, and mentoring a Contracts management team to plan, deliver, and administer effective contract agreements that add value and life-cycle cost reduction for services, construction works, and indirect services on a portfolio of projects.
- Under an EPCM delivery model, ensuring the EPCM contracts function complies with all relevant requirements, policies, industry best practices, and project-specific requirements.
- Proactively assessing and managing project commercial risk, and ensuring that agreements adequately address practical risks, including Health, Safety, Environment, and Community risks.
- Ensuring that project decisions made by project directors/managers can be made based upon well-planned contract strategies, appropriate commercial terms and conditions, effectively executed contract processes and accurate and timely performance information.
- Working with internal groups, particularly the Legal Group, Risk and Insurance, and the business unit contracts groups to develop, integrate and deliver best-practice project contract practices, procedures and templates on PDG projects.
- Performing independent reviews of the project contract plans and performance at Stage Gates, Health Checks, or other agreed review milestones.
- Building and maintaining relationships with relevant Teck stakeholders as well as relationships with key external service providers.
- Where requested by senior BU and Teck managers and approved by the Director, Project Services, providing advice or support to the operations or corporate groups, and participating in corporate initiatives to improve supply management across Teck.
- Administrative duties appropriate for the smooth implementation of the job role within the Teck PDG.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in project contracting leadership roles on major mining or oil and gas plant project implementation (brownfields and greenfield) is mandatory.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the area of project contracting in the resources industry are essential.
- Excellent leadership, communication, relationship management, negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- Advanced understanding of the unique requirements for the performance of the Contracts Management role in an Owner’s team.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of overall project implementation management processes, including understanding project life-cycles, project procedures, project roles and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated excellence in risk and opportunity identification, strategic and tactical planning and management.
- In-depth understanding of various contract types, models, strategies, etc. and applicability, risks and benefits of each type.
- In-depth understanding and strong ability to argue, defend, apply, and rely on legal and commercial terms and conditions during negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to scope, build and lead high-performing teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Advanced critical and conceptual thinking skills.
- A graduate degree in a related field is mandatory; a post-graduate degree such as an MBA is desirable.
- At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada