|City:||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Vancouver H/O – Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)|
Canfor’s strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor.
The Senior Corporate Accountant is a key member of Canfor’s Finance team, responsible for a full range of operational, financial and management accounting reporting and analysis. As a technical accounting expert and International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”) expert, the Senior Corporate Accountant is a key member of the corporate reporting team and provides technical accounting support, guidance and leadership to accountants across Canfor and Canfor Pulp.
- Key contributor to quarterly and annual financial reporting including monthly consolidation journal entries and maintenance of various consolidation divisions, preparation of financial statements and coordination of review/audit processes for Canfor and Canfor Pulp;
- Preparation of quarterly and annual external financial statements for both public companies, including supporting documentation;
- Prepare detailed quarterly and annual analysis of financial results for both public companies;
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly internal reporting materials for presentation to Executive Team and Board members;
- Responsible for management of the external portal with Company’s newswire system, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of the release of quarterly and annual financial statement data through the newswire system;
- Key liaison with external auditors;
- Key contributor to the Company’s monthly accounting close, consolidation and monthly internal financial statements for both Canfor and Canfor Pulp;
- Key contributor to quarterly disclosure committee meetings, ensuring proper review and oversight of externally published financial data by CFO, SVP Corporate Development, Legal & Corporate Secretary, SVP Corporate Finance & Sustainability and Senior Director, Communications & Government Relations;
- Full responsibility for preparation of financial statements for the company’s four registered pension plans with regulatory filing requirements, including management of the external audit and coordination with the Director, Enterprise Risk Management, Treasury, Property & Insurance for filing of the audited statements; and
- Responsible for interpreting unique and complex transactions, and determining appropriate accounting treatment under IFRS; as well as ensuring compliance with new/amended IFRS and accounting policies for Canfor and Canfor Pulp; remain up-to-date on current and future IFRS accounting standards and update businesses stakeholders as necessary;
- Prepare technical accounting assessment memorandums for presentation to external auditors and the Audit Committee;
- Ensure accurate and complete accounting and disclosure for the Company’s post-retirement pension plans and act as a primary touch point for the Company’s actuaries for accounting purposes.
- Key contributor to the Company’s consolidated accounting policy manual;
- Assess the impact of new accounting standards on the Company and possible impacts of alternative accounting policies; and,
- Ensure consistent application of accounting policies across Canfor and Canfor Pulp.
Required Skills & Education:
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in related fields with a CPA designation;
- Minimum of three years progressive experience in accounting with a strong technical accounting foundation;
- Experience working with medium-large publicly listed companies, including solid understanding of required regulatory financial filings;
- Strong understanding of IFRS; and
- Experience with consolidation accounting in a multi-divisional, public reporting company environment an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding integrity and quality leadership;
- Strong technical skills with the ability to adapt to and become highly proficient in a variety of tools including the ERP system: Business Intelligence tools, Excel, etc.;
- Ability to multi-task and drive multiple initiatives forward;
- Strong focus on standardization, and continuous improvement;
- Conscious of details: methodical, organized, and structured – willing to get to the core of a problem;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Tendency to follow rules and regulations closely: prefers to work in a regulated type of environment, not inclined to take shortcuts;
- Passion for technical accounting and experience in interpretation of accounting pronouncements;
- Strong understanding of complex accounting principles with the ability to appropriately interpret and communicate its relevance in financial reporting, analysis, and decision making;
- Strong understanding of internal Finance policies and procedures;
- Ability to apply the appropriate tools and systems to find, extract and analyze required data;
- Strong understanding of end-to-end business processes and principles of financial process controls and risk management;
- Understanding of external reporting requirements, standards, and policies;
- Understanding of relevant legal, regulatory and compliance issues;
- Ability to adapt to changes in current policies and processes due to new guidelines; and
- Strong understanding and awareness of key stakeholders and at appropriate senior levels to drive support for project/initiative and ability to adapt to their needs
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant.
We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent
- CAD Month
- Address 100 -1700 W 75th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery