Requisition ID: 92762
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
The Senior Private Banker & Team Lead position is responsible for the operation and achievements of a team of Private Bankers, Senior Associates and Associates, including their delivery of client service, distribution of work, and team’s overall financial objectives.
As the Team Lead, the incumbent is responsible for team member development, ensuring that they have the skills and product knowledge to provide a wide array of deposit and lending solutions, including conventional retail products, money market instruments, customized margin financing, hedging strategies, equity monetizations, leveraged insurance products and real estate.
The incumbent possesses advanced knowledge of customized commercial lending, risk management, financial products and services, and wealth management solutions. Incumbent establishes relationship management and new business acquisition strategies at the team level, and grows existing relationships.
The incumbent executes marketing plans that foster close working relationships with assigned Scotiabank partner to general referral business from clients and other internal and external channels.
Drive business development, maintaining a strong market profile, both internally and externally, within the assigned geographic area by:
- Managing a team of Private Banker’s, Associate Private Bankers and Senior Associates towards achievement of team financial and developmental goals
- Actively marketing customized Private Banking credit solutions (Total Wealth Credit Solution), to support wealth creation or diversification strategies, insurance solutions, currency and interest rate risk management.
- Developing and executing new business strategies at the team level to attract and retain high net worth clients.
- Conducting prospect meetings, skill building sessions, coaching routines to support team objectives
- Identifying prospects and referrals from internal and external networks / COI’s
- Developing commercial credit proposals for new / existing customers and manage approval process
- Identifying referral opportunities to Scotia Private Client Group partners, ScotiaMcLeod, Commercial
- Banking, Retail and other key partners (Roynat, GTB, International, Scotia Capital, etc.)
- Managing the team’s new business pipeline and coach to convert sales opportunities to closed transactions
- Maintaining a sustainable prospect sales pipeline, conducting sales calls and qualification of opportunities based on customer information and due diligence
- Negotiating the business unit’s goals
- Utilizing the Financial Planning process to develop an in-depth understanding of client needs and serve as a conduit for referrals to the SPCG Team of Experts
- Developing multiple service client relationships based on formalized client strategies
- Engaging and informing the designated Team of Experts as to changes in client information and priorities
Provide Sales Management leadership to a team by:
- Leading, coaching and motivating sales team to achievement of profit plan
- Developing and obtaining agreement on individualized development plans to close any competency gaps
- Broadening knowledge base to ensure sales teams have all service and credit capabilities necessary to promote same to existing and prospective clients
- Determining the assignment of client relationships and allocation of account loads
- Using observational and results based coaching to ensure the team achieves key financial and developmental goals including executing new client acquisition strategies, identification of additional wealth/banking opportunities and retention of existing high value clients
- Establishing and monitoring performance objectives and measures, and providing timely performance (& non-performance) feedback with regards to roles, tasks and expectations
- Effectively utilizing and developing staff to fill the needs of Private Banking unit and longer term requirements of the Bank
Lead Portfolio Management and Risk Mitigation by:
- Negotiating customized or standard Bank terms, conditions, structuring fees/interest rates, documentation, effective and competitive financing proposals with customers, culminating in the closing of transactions
- Deepening profitable, mutually beneficial relationships between clients and Private Banking / Wealth Management Partners
- Providing relationship banking and the highest quality of administrative support to a portfolio of complex, high net worth/ultra high net worth clients
- Using knowledge of Scotiabank’s diverse products and services to anticipate client needs and proactively deliver solutions (including Commercial Banking, Scotia Capital and Retail)
- Managing client relationships to ensure that credit facilities and accounts are operating in a manner which is satisfactory to the Bank
- Providing oversight and review of commercial credit structured and submitted to Global Risk Management and coach development of (Sr.) Private Banker / Trainee credit writing skills, management of in-house credits within approved limits
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory activities and guidelines, including Privacy and Anti-Money Laundering / Anti-Terrorist Financing, FCAC, Know Your Customer, CDIC, Occupational Health & Safety
- Ensuring thorough knowledge of, and strict adherence to, the Bank’s Global Sales Principles.
- Completing periodic monitoring activities as required confirming compliance with bank policies and effective risk management is in place
- Monitoring client account activity and reporting unusual or suspicious transactions in accordance with policies and escalate as appropriate
- Escalating fraudulent activities, unusual occurrences, issues, deficiencies, or trends as applicable
- Adhering to Bank standards, policies and business practices to ensure that the team meets appropriate regulatory and compliance requirements as they relate to both new and clients and accounts
Maintain Operational Effectiveness by:
- Ensuring daily and periodic management controls are in place and effective
- Monitoring non-interest expenses against planned budgets, ensuring that the Manager, Client Services has appropriate and reasonable explanations for variances
- Ensuring workflows and organization plans are efficient and effective
- Providing direction, guidance and support to the Manager, Client Services as required, through coaching and periodic participation in Service Meetings and Skill Buildings sessions
- Reviewing recorded client concerns and resolve escalated concerns and issues to ensure that the Bank’s Customer Complaint Resolution Process is in place and effective.
Manage Credit Risk management by:
- Ensuring new credit requests as well as annual reviews are promptly, efficiently and consistently adjudicated
- Managing authorized commercial limits for credit applications and ensure timely responses
- Conducting thorough evaluation of credit applications; preparing and/or directing the preparation of comprehensive credit presentations for submission to higher authority in accordance with established Private Banking Unit/Bank policies and procedures
- Developing commercial underwriting skills within the team
- Ensuring security documentation is accurately prepared, completed, registered and renewed as required
- Ensuring credit facilities operate within authorized terms and conditions. Ensure the Bank’s position is fully protected by way of adequate security requirements (if required) and appropriate credit conditions, resolving any issues that may arise and when applicable, escalate concerns to the Director or Managing Director with well thought out recommendations
- Minimum 5 years of commercial lending experience and 10 years banking experience
- University degree (BComm, MBA, CFA), in addition to industry courses (eg. CSC, PFP, CFP)
- Must be an experienced banker with exceptional interpersonal, leadership and business development skills
Complexity of Position
- Extensive knowledge of customized lending, commercial underwriting and proven ability to make sound credit recommendations
- Excellent presentation, risk assessment, analytical, accounting and financial analysis skills
- Advanced and proven deal structuring, negotiation and sales management skills with superior closing capabilities
- Experience with sophisticated lending and risk management solutions, including currency and interest rate risk management, investment and insurance lending
- Advanced marketing, communication, networking, supervisory, interpersonal and business development skills
- Excellent understanding of tax, estate, financial planning and investment vehicles
- Ability to relate comfortably with affluent and influential clientele in both a business and social content, demonstrating an ability to display a high degree of poise and professionalism at all times
- Thorough knowledge of all Private Banking business line value propositions, with preferred knowledge of overall Scotiabank Wealth Management plus support group relationships across the organization
- One-on-one coaching of direct reports requires well-developed listening and communication skills
Location(s): Canada : British Columbia : Vancouver
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Address 650 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery