Sector: Policy and Innovation
Language Designation: Bilingual
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): CBC
Salary Range: $91305.53 to $114131.91
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
This position reports to the Housing Policy team in our Policy Division, which reports to the SVP of Policy and Innovation sector. This sector helps with housing affordability through evidence-based policy, research and disruptive innovation.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. You will provide strategic and expert advice on policy development in support of fundamental decisions that shape future directions. You will articulate policy positions, provide strategic expert advice, recommendations, and develop substantive materials for senior management and the Minister to influence decision making. This will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
• Undergraduate degree in a related field such as public administration, commerce or finance.
• Minimum of seven years of prior related experience.
• Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative analytical skills to develop policy options and assess expected outcomes.
• Demonstrated analytical, creative and conceptual skills to effectively contribute to business objectives and strategic direction.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly in a variety of settings and styles to communicate and defend messages and positions.
• Demonstrated experience building and maintaining strategic relationships with multiple stakeholders.
• Demonstrated experience leading initiatives.
Additional Assets (if applicable)
• Master's degree would be an asset.
What you will be doing
• Guide, mentor, provide strategic and expert advice to and share expert knowledge with colleagues and business lines to advance the development and implementation of policy related to CMHC's mandate and priorities.
• Provide subject matter expertise and authoritative tactical advice, guidance and support on complex and abstract topics, and prepare strategic correspondence, briefing materials, reports and policy proposals for internal clients, external stakeholders, CMHC’s senior management and the Minister.
• Develop solutions using field expertise, substantial creativity, resourcefulness, innovation, negotiation and diplomacy.
Research and Project Management
• Act as a key contributor and resource in support of the divisional management team, including in the development and implementation of strategic internal and external planning.
• Lead, guide and perform research and policy analysis to identify opportunities for program and policy improvement and advance the development of critical decisions, plans and strategies that align with government and corporate priorities. Identify priority gaps in policies and related policy research and analysis. Guide CMHC’s research agenda from a policy perspective.
• Lead analysis of policies, programs and positions of other orders of government and/or other stakeholders to inform and guide CMHC's strategic relationships.
• Lead the development of performance measurement frameworks to establish desired program outcomes and targets and generate reports.
• Manage multiple projects of high priority to government under tight timelines, establishing and adjusting priorities and ensuring timely delivery of thorough and relevant policy products.
Consultations and Relationship Building
• Establish, maintain and utilize relationships with federal government departments, other orders of government and stakeholders to gather intelligence, augment the capacity to innovate, and influence policy decisions.
• Maintain government and stakeholder relationships to identify issues of common interest and collaboration opportunities.
• Lead or support senior-level interdepartmental and/or intergovernmental committees, working groups and forums, to build relationships and promote horizontal collaboration across federal departments and across other orders of government.
• Identify opportunities and drive innovation in relevant business area by engaging in consultations with internal and external stakeholders, government and private sector, academics and other related experts.
• Act as a subject matter expert that clients and stakeholders may rely on to field complex questions that require innovative responses and solutions related to the relevant business area. Promote CMHC as a leader on policy and research knowledge related to housing.
People Leadership (Human Relations Skills)
• Understanding, influencing and/or serving people are important considerations in causing actions or acceptance by others.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date: October 19, 2020 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID: 4996
Office Location: Calgary (AB); Halifax (NS); Montreal (QC); Ottawa (ON); Toronto (ON); Vancouver (BC)
Security Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: Occasional
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower salary range than is advertised for this position.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- All regular employees must be in their current role for a minimum of one (1) year prior to applying for a new position, if not, they must receive managerial approval to apply for a new position.
- If applying for a temporary assignment, please ensure that your Manager approves your application prior to submission.
- In all cases, regular employees must successfully complete the corporate probationary period prior to applying for a new position.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
- CAD Month
- Address 1111 West Georgia Street Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Image Gallery